Sunday 18 September 2011

The Doors


Hell Rock - ta - Shell Sock

Well, I just got into town about an hour ago
Took a look around, see which way the wind blow

<>


<> Why did you want to be a soldier?

For a multitude of reasons
There is a lot of military in the family
I loved playing Japs & British
Strange the older kids played Germans & British
But us younger kids played mainly Japs & British

<> Were you ever a Jap?

Was I fuck

Do you think boys should play with toy guns?

<> Cannot stop them

<> How?

Well like me, they would just pick up a stick and pretend it was a Tommy gun

<> Do you like war?

Shit
My multicoloured world is far more complex than the black & white world you lefties want to place us in
Woman are strange
When you’re a stranger
When you’re a stranger
Woman are strange

<> Who sang that?

Shit I just did didn’t I?
Or is there an Echo in here
Echo
Echo
Read all about it
Man got kicked to death
By a legless chicken

<> Ha, ha, ha
Was that not a song by someone?

Jim Morrison & The Doors
But I changed it
He sang
People are strange
When you’re a stranger
When you’re a stranger
People are strange

<> Do you like the Doors?

Cue
Pissing down rain
Riders on the storm

<> But do you really like them?

Fucking lefty bastards somehow have got this idea that you can only be an intellectual if you’re from the left and so somehow certain things can only be appreciated by them.  And the Doors are a band that always get you lot on ye high horse.
Oh
The Doors
The intellectual beat
The left love
A treat
I was listening to the Doors before you were a twinkle in the eye of your father
On the family Bush radio
And Wow it was
In those days
Different
My appreciation of that music has a much greater depth than you will ever be able to understand
What is it about you lefty bastards?
What makes you think that only you fuckers can appreciate such?
Fucking university student wankers?

<> So how was the music so different?

Well imagine
Me
Still at school
Probably in short trousers
Radio One
Ferry cross the Mersey
With Tom Jones
And Cilla Black
And a whole host of other shit
Then Wow
This strange voice
Kind of like a crooner but different
The Moog synthesiser
It was fucking different

<> And how is your appreciation greater than mine?

Because
I lived through it
I would run home from school at dinnertime
Would you believe?
To watch the news

<> The news?

Yes
And there it was
Daily
For all to see
The Viet Nam war
Helicopters all over the fucking place
Exposition
Fire
Smoke
And having dreams of becoming a soldier I would think
I wonder
Is that what I will be doing?
Now when I listen to the Doors or Hendrix
It is the soundtrack to all that shit
I saw it all
Daily
On TV
And that music brings it back
In a way you
Not being alive then
Will never understand
Your appreciation
Is void
Of the TV war
From off far
That left a scar
On the American psyche

<>


No comments: